Chicken and Veggie Casserole
Nutrition per serving: 257 Calories, 21g Carbohydrates, 7g Fat, 26g Protein
By Deanna Hill
1.5 Cups Low-sodium Chicken broth (homemade if you have it)
¼ Cup Light cream cheese
1 tbsp Flour
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp Paprika
1 Cup Shredded cheese
1.5 Pounds Chicken breast, thinly sliced (or 3 cups cooked chicken breast)
6 oz Whole wheat rotini pasta, dry (approx. 3 cups cooked)
1 Onion, diced
2 Cloves garlic, crushed
2 Cups Mushrooms, sliced
2 Cups Spinach, roughly chopped
1 Can (398ml) No-salt diced tomatoes, drained
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
1. In a small saucepan, whisk flour and chicken broth until flour is dissolved. Heat on med heat until just coming to a simmer
2. Add cream cheese, mustard and paprika and whisk until cream cheese has melted
3. Slowly add shredded cheese and whisk until melted. Reduce heat to medium-low. Continue to whisk occasionally while you prepare the remaining ingredients
4. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add rotini. Cook approx. 9 min. and drain. You will want this to be fairly al dente as it will continue to cook when it goes in the oven.
4. While pasta is cooking, place a large pan on medium heat, add chicken and cook until no longer pink. Add onions, mushrooms and garlic and cook an additional 7-10 min until onions are becoming translucent.
5. Place pasta, chicken mixture, spinach and tomatoes into a 9x13 baking dish and then pour cheese mixture over top. Place in the oven and bake for approx. 15-20 min.
If you would like to reduce the carbohydrates, you can replace the pasta with cauliflower florets.
This recipe works well with leftover chicken, just chop or shred and toss in the baking dish with the rest of the ingredients, the time in the oven is enough to heat it.