Stuffed Peppers (Lasagna Inspired)
Nutrition per serving: 245 Calories, 14g Carbohydrates, 7g Fat, 34g Protein
By Deanna Hill
1.5 Pounds Extra Lean Ground Turkey
½ Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Cup Diced Onion
1.5 Cups Diced Mushrooms
1 Can (398 ml) No-Salt Tomato Sauce
3 tsp Dried Oregano
3 Cloves Garlic
1 tsp Dried Basil
½ tsp Chili Flakes
½ tsp Salt
Fresh Ground Pepper (to taste)
¾ Cup Part-Skim Ricotta Cheese
1.5 Cups Chopped Spinach
3 Bell Peppers (any colour you choose)
6 Tbsp Shredded Cheese
Fresh Basil, finely chopped (for topping after baking)
Pre-Heat oven to 375 degrees
1. Wash peppers, cut in half lengthwise and take out core and seeds. Set in a 9x13 baking dish
2. In a bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, egg, 1 clove of garlic, 1 tsp oregano, fresh ground pepper and spinach. Set aside.
3. In a large fry pan heat oil on medium heat, add onions and cook just until becoming translucent.
4. Add ground turkey and cook until no longer pink
5. Add mushrooms, remaining spices and garlic and cook about 5 min
6. Add the tomato sauce, stir well and cook 5-10 min until sauce is beginning to reduce and thicken a bit.
7. Spread the ricotta mixture in the bottom of each pepper half
8. Fill each half with the turkey mixture, it’s ok to heap it!
9. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp cheese on the top of each pepper
10. Place in oven and bake 20-25 min until peppers are beginning to soften and cheese is browned.
11. After removing from the oven top each pepper with some fresh basil, serve and enjoy!